Please talk to me

After hours of surfing through new and old friend's blogs, and after reading much more interesting stuff than just captions under super cute photos of kids, I was inspired to create a blog of my own just for sharing thoughts and to have dialouge with the outside world.....those of you who think about more than Barney, Thomas the Train and PB&J. I would love it if I started a trend among my many photo sharing mom friends (not that I don't LOVE the pics), I know you guys could use a little straight from the heart (or brian...., no that's my husband....see, it barely works anymore!....BRAIN). For what it's worth.......

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I got word today of a friend who has been feeling loney lately and is in need of encouragement. The news came by way of an email that was sent to a bunch of people in order to coordinate something we could all do for her. My first reaction to the email was pure excitment about doing something nice for this friend. But then I got to thinking about how it seems to me that so many women I know in this phase of life (married with career or children or both) deal with lonliness at some point. I know I sure have and often still do. Despite my joy in taking part in blessing my friend, I just couldnt help but to continue to be burdened by this idea that so many women out there are loney. It makes sense, we are home with the kids or at work with co-workers who are not neccesarily people we chose to have in our lives. We have all the duties of wife and motherhood to attend to and little time for ourselves. I have often written off my own stuggles with lonliness and isolation as aspects of this season of life that are inevitable and then felt the pressure to just suck it up and deal with it. However, recent speculation into this issue has allowed me to see things a little deeper. This issue seems to be prevelent in our culture at large. We saw "Knocked Up" this weekend and we laughed so hard at how much we identified with the highly dysfunctional married couple, the sister and her husband. He and she were both so obviously lonley. The wife is sad and bitter and although what she really wants is to have her husband around, she drives him away with her neurotic behavior that stems from her bitterness (very viscious circle). The husband is so desperate for companionship that he pretends he's leaving the house for work and instead attends male bonding rituals like a fantasy baseball draft. Desperate. Familiar, though to a lesser extent (let's hope so!!). But my personal identification with these characters and the email I got this morning are proof that we as Believers are no more immune to this than anyone else. This, to me, is very sad and an indication that we as a subcluture of christians are missing something huge that God intended for us as a "church". That something missing is a real understanding and experience of deep, intimate community. The kind we see in the church in Acts. Prayer, in the book of acts, seems to me to be primarily coorporate not individual. Everybody shared everything. Individualism has got the best of us here. It is so deeply engrained in us as Westerners, particularly as Americans, we seem to barely be able to scratch the surface of true community. I believe this is why so many of us are lonley. Yes, this stage in life is demanding but I no longer see lonliness as inevitable for me. I believe that if we exerienced more than just church picnics and BBQ's and once a week Bible Studies where everyone shares prayer requests quickly at the end and promises to pray for you during the week (not that that is bad), that we might not feel like we are in our own world so often. If interactions between friends were challenged to a place of true vulnerability and friendships valued as essential to our spiritual vitality I believe a connectedness and intamacy unlike what is most common would develop and we would refreshed, energized and encouraged rahter than dry, weary and lonely. I am very fortunate to have had a taste of this kind of community in my life. A group of friends from college that are commited to being real and spiritually intimate with one another provide this for me. However, I am not satisfied with just that in my life. These friends are all over the place and it is rare we are able to meet in person. I would like to have this kind of connectedness with every community of believers I encounter. At times I think that my hopes are unattainable, that the way we are in this culture is too set in stone and that we just won't experience what the people of the early church did to any great extent until we are all united with Christ in heaven. But that's me being timid and lazy and unwilling to try and hope for fear of being disappointed.

4 comments:

The McCarty's said...

After reading your blog I shake my head and say "yes" we do need community. My heart is grieved when I think about how many things are set up in our lives to prevent us from traveling the paths towards community. What steps does God desire of me and Oh, may He create in me a willing heart to proceed. Thank you for the thoughts. Kaitlyn

Shiloh and Samantha Sorbello said...

I think a strive for "things" and overly full schedules are mostly to blame for this lack of community. The devil would much rather see us working hard to get a promotion or bigger house than a deeper relationship with the Father and those around us. Materialism is sucking the church dry and keeping us from knowing Christ and our fellow man like God intends. The fight goes on.

Carly said...

you put it so well that all i have to say is AMEN! i hate that it can be so difficult and occasionally ill-received to lay it all down and really connect with other believers in a vulnerable way. true community is so beautiful and uplifting and strong.

carly

Kelly Meirik said...

Erica, I've always loved your thoughtfulness--- it's what drew me to you way back in Casablanca, Morrocco! I've thought about "church" often in the past 2 months as lots of people, myself included for sure, seem not to honor church as I believe it's meant to. Afterall, it's the bride of Christ. It's a big deal I guess is what I'm trying to say. It can be hard as you alluded to in your blog when some of the people at church aren't people you'd choose to have in your spiritual family. Sometimes it's not wrapped in a pretty package but it's God's mysterious, powerful design for growth & intimacy. I'm not trying to preach, you just happened to touch on a subject that's been brewing inside for a bit & it's nice to flush a tiny portion out on paper/web. Thanks for your beautiful writing & openness to sharing.
kelly mackenzie (now meirik :))